Monday, December 24, 2007

Who Am I?

Who am I to offer a critique of politicians and what they speak? I am perhaps the most and least qualified person on the planet. I am the most illusive of creatures, the one politicians court and who owe no allegiance to a political party ... in short, an Independent voter.

I've been voting in more elections than I care to recount and have lived enough history to think I am somewhat qualified to speak on the status of the body politic. I've been right more than I've been wrong in my opinions of politicians, which isn't something that makes me happy. When I've been "right" and the election goes another way, I've seen many of my fears realized and I'm not happy about that.

I've watched in dismay as politics degenerated more and more into a game of name calling and nasty innuendo where candidates expect us to respect them as persons of integrity even when they are voicing outright deceptions. They surely aren't as gullible as they expect us to be?

I've seen government disintegrate into an institution that accomplishes little and lives only for the next sound bite and the next election. We have term limits on the presidency and I am more and more convinced that we should have the same for Congress. I believe the founding fathers envisioned a civilian government, not one that created a whole new category of employment.

There you have it ... who I am and my rationale for the comments herein.

No comments: